Anyone can become a volunteer donor and can decide to give a patient an additional chance of being cured. However, it is essential the following conditions to be satisfied :
Donors must :
- be in perfect health ;
- be aged between 18 and 50 at the time of their registration (although donation remains possible up to the age of 60) ;
- agree to complete a health questionnaire and provide a blood sample.
Some medical contra-indications may make donation (and therefore registration) impossible.
A serious commitment
Registering with the bone marrow donor registry is a considered personal decision that involves a serious commitment :
- The donor agrees to make him/herself available and to make the necessary arrangements when the time comes for the marrow collection.
- Until that time comes, the donor comitt him/herself to inform France Greffe de Moelle Registry at the « Agence de la biomédecine » of any change in his/her state of health or address.
- The donor may withdraw from the Registry at any moment without giving any reason.
- The donor agrees to donate for any patient in France or abroad.